Saturday, December 5, 2009

A Bushel and a Peck

Our kitchen is literally busting at the seams with produce right now! We joined a local CSA recently, Johnson's Backyard Garden, and yesterday we took our first delivery. For those of you unfamiliar with CSAs, the gist of it is this - you buy a share in a local farm, and in exchange you get a portion of the harvest each week. For about $30 a week, we're getting roughly half a bushel of farm fresh, organic, local, seasonal produce. Look at all the beautiful stuff we got yesterday!


Here's the breakdown:
  1. Red and green leaf lettuce (1 head each)
  2. Chard (1 bunch)
  3. Eggplant (2)
  4. Japanese eggplant (1)
  5. Kohlrabi (3)
  6. Beets (4)
  7. Fennel (1)
  8. Carrots (1 bunch - about 13)
  9. Assorted peppers (including seranos, jalapenos, possibly some Anaheims, and some others I haven't yet identified).
Vibrant purple eggplants.

I truly doubt I could have picked up all this organic food for just $30 at the local farmer's markets, or even at Central Market. And I love the idea of supporting a small local farmer who's doing something they love. My only problem now is - what do I do with it all???

Gorgeous beets. I haven't managed to get any of the beet seeds I planted in my backyard garden to grow like this.

So, at the suggestion of my good friend Sarah over at Pretty Bird Press, I'm challenging myself to use everything I receive from my CSA each week. I'll post my efforts here, as well as any recipes I use. My hope is that this will not only help Mr. L and I eat more healthy foods, but also to expand our horizons and introduce us to some ingredients we haven't tried before.

Working all these peppers into our diet will definitely keep us warm on the cold fall evenings Austin's been having lately.

I need a little bit of help from you, though. Do you have any ideas for what I should do with all this deliciousness? I'm especially curious about the kohlrabi - I've never cooked with this before, so I need all the suggestions I can get!

The daunting kohlrabi - I won't let you stump me!

4 comments:

  1. That kohlrabi is crazy looking! I'll look for a recipe for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a great link! Apparently you treat them similarly to broccoli stems.
    http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/kohlrabi/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is sooo cool! I would absolutely do this if I had someone to cook/eat with every day and night.

    A

    P.S. _Vegetables Every Day_

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a great roasted beet salad recipe in Vegetables Every Day...it uses the greens from them as well!!! I also recently had a roasted beet salad with figs, sugared pecans and feta dressing. It was fantastic! Good luck- I wish I was HOME to get that kind-of produce. Can't wait to hear what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete